It’s almost September, which means that it’s almost football season! As dual resident of Green Bay and Madison, Wisconsin, I properly pledge my allegiance to the Packers in the NFL and the Badgers in the NCAA, which makes for fun football-filled weekends from September until December (and sometimes January)! Although I love football itself, the game just wouldn’t be the same without tailgating and the awesome food that goes along with it. One of my favorite dishes to make for tailgating parties is this Buffalo Chicken Dip…and now you can make it for your next get-together!
2 packages of Neufchatel cream cheese
1 cup ranch dressing
1 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (or other buffalo-style sauce)
2-3 small to medium sized chicken breasts
At least 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
The sauces – Ranch and Frank’s Red Hot
To start, put the cream cheese in the dish you’ll be using to store/serve the dip. This will give it time to soften while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Add the ranch and 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese. Let sit to bring up to room temperature (approximately the time it takes to prepare the chicken).
Dice up the chicken breast and cook over medium heat on the stove top. You’ll want to make the pieces pretty small to make dipping easier!
Don’t let the puppy eat the chicken. No matter how cute he is. This is key to the recipe.
When the chicken is cooked through, add the hot sauce. Bring to a boiling, then cook for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken the sauce slightly.
Add the chicken/hot sauce mixture to the cream cheese/ranch/cheddar mixture. Combine thoroughly – if the cream cheese is still a bit cold, throw the whole thing in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up a little.
Add more (and more, and more) cheddar cheese until you reach the desired consistency. The more cheese, the thicker the dip will be. I live in Wisconsin, so there’s no such thing as “too much” cheese. Just think of it as supporting the local economy. Once everything is combined, transfer the dip to a crock pot if you want to serve it warm, or keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to serve it if you’d prefer it cold. I swear, it’s great either way!
Although I do love this as a straight-up dip with pretzels or tortilla chips, it’s also great if you spread it on bread or toast…kind of like a spicy (and super bad for you) chicken salad. But it’s game day! Go ahead…indulge. 🙂
- Put cream cheese in dish to soften. Add ranch and 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Dice the chicken breasts into small pieces and cook over medium heat until cooked through.
- Add hot sauce to chicken and bring to a boil. Cook for 2-3 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Add the chicken mixture to the cream cheese mixture and combine thoroughly. If cream cheese is still not completely softened, you may need to microwave it for a few seconds to get the clumps out.
- Add additional shredded cheddar to achieve desired consistency (the more cheese, the thicker the dip will be). Start with 1/4 to 1/2 cup and add from there as desired.
- Transfer to crock pot to serve warm, or store in the refrigerator to serve cold. It’s good both ways!